Seeing a decently dressed (well dressed) man and a good fashionable belt has become a norm amongst people. Belts as popular as they’ve become are actually a quite new fashion invention going down memory lane. Belts were merely used for military uniform as a decorative item in years preceding the First World War. The generally accepted and used means for holding up the trouser then was the suspenders.
The fashion trend back then required that men wear high-waisted trousers which a belt won’t be able to hold properly in place. Thus, suspenders became a necessity in men’s fashion collection. Fashion these days have involved old trends coming back. Suspenders have never gone but are really becoming more prominent and won’t be a bad choice adding them to our collection.
HOW TO USE SUSPENDERS
No rules are involved on how it should be worn. Some prefer fastening the back of the suspenders then put their trousers on before fastening it at the back while others will fasten every button on before putting on their trouser. The choice is yours.
- Suspenders provide a waist-shaped hanger that the trouser rests on which removes fabric bunching which occurs when a belt is used on a tight fitted trouser.
- Suspenders give the trouser a neat and comfortable appearance
- Suspenders can be adjusted to raise or lower the pants so that the part where the legs join is comfortably located.
- Suspenders when used by larger men to drape their trousers down from their narrower natural waist rather than having to belt them uncomfortably under the belly.
- They are likely to rip free when they catch on something which may damage both the trouser and suspender.
- They have a chance of snapping when weak.
- For men who like a busy appearance, suspenders aren’t the best option because it’s mostly hidden.
Some other rules to abide when using suspenders include:
- It can be worn on suit but with buttons and not clips.
- They can be worn anywhere
- The fabric of your suspenders must match or contrast the rest of your outfit
- Never wear a belt and suspender together
- When leather suspenders are used, it should match your shoe