‘What is your best color?’ ‘Black’ I say, looking weirdly, he asks ‘why black?’ to which I respond ‘black is beautiful’. Black should just be crowned king of colors (if it already isn’t). Black, really, makes everyone look amazing. Coco Chanel, one of my style icons, perhaps said it best: “Women think of all colors except the absence of color. I have said that black has it all. … [Its] beauty is absolute. It is the perfect harmony.” Black makes clothes buying and getting dressed in the morning easier. Black, however, can also be one-dimensional and boring, and while it may seem easy to dress in all black, there are a few rules to keep in mind,
- Vary the fabrics and textures. Nothing looks dowdier than an all-black outfit that is all cotton…
- On the fabric note, make sure the fabric selection is season appropriate. A black wool dress will look fabulous in the fall, but out-of-place during the summer. Silk and linen make it easier to pull off the all-black look during the warmer months.
- When putting together a black-on-black, fit becomes even more important. Take advantage of the fact that black is slimming and have the clothes be more fitted and flattering, rather than shapeless and drab.
- Add interest with accessories. Bold, colorful jewelry becomes the statement piece of your outfit. For me, colored stiletto heels are the go-to shoe with any black on black outfit.
- Make your outfit more dressy or casual with the simple change of lipstick color
Black is the new sexy, get a black outfit today!