Everyone’s skin is normal to them, but in order to care for diverse skin types, we often group people into some skin categories. Ascertaining your skin type is an important first step in knowing how to treat your skin and knowing what products to use. It is therefore important to know what category your skin falls into so you won’t abuse your skin by using the wrong products for it. Below are five simple steps to take in ascertaining your skin type;
Wash Your Face. Wash with a gentle cleanser and pat dry. Remove make-up. This cleans away oils and dirt that may have accumulated during your day, giving your skin a fresh start. Do not over wash though.
Wait an hour. During this time, your skin should return to its natural state, the characteristics of which will determine your skin type. Act normally and, please, don’t touch your face
Dab your face with a tissue. Pay close attention to the ‘T-zone’- the area of your forehead and nose.
Determine your skin type. Skin falls into four types–normal, oily, dry and combination.
- Normal skin shows neither oil nor flaking skin. It should feel supple and smooth. If you have it, consider yourself lucky 🙂
- Oily skin is characterized by the grease on the tissue. It is also common for a person with oily skin to have large pores and a shine.
- Dry skin may feel taut or show flakes of dead skin. It is associated with small pores. Moisturizing is important for this skin type.
- Combination skin is most common. It exhibits traits of all three of the above skin types. Usually, the skin is oily in the T-zone and normal to dry elsewhere.
Know what problems your skin might have. There are usually two ‘problem’ categories that your skin may fall under, as well as your skin type. These two categories are:
- Sensitive If you have sensitive skin, your face reacts easily to regular skin products. This means that when you use regular skin products, your face will get red, itchy, or a rash could form.
- Acne-Prone Even if you’re not a teenager, you may still get pimples/acne, especially if you have an oily skin type. If you have acne-prone skin, look around for good acne products.